Mandatory Commercial Organics Recycling
As part of California’s recycling and greenhouse gas (GHG) emission goals, businesses are required to collect yard trimmings, food scraps and food-soiled paper for composting, effective April 1, 2016. Multifamily buildings with five or more units are required to collect yard trimmings, effective April 1, 2016.
Who is required to observe the mandate?
Businesses & Multifamily properties that are generating four (4) cubic yards per week of organic waste shall arrange for organic recycling services.
As of January 1,2019, collection of food scraps and food-soiled paper will be required for all waste generators producing 4 yards or more of solid waste or more.
How do I comply with AB 1826?
Businesses can take one or any combination of the following in order to reuse, recycle, compost or otherwise divert organic waste from disposal:
• Subscribe to a hauler(s)
• Arrange for the pickup of recyclable organic materials
• Subscribe to a recycling service that may include mixed waste processing that yields diversion results comparable to source separation
What are the benefits of recycling?
• Opportunities for businesses or multi-family complexes to save money.
• Reducing greenhouse gas emissions.
• Keeping valuable materials out of landfills.
• Creating a healthy environment for the community and future generations by recovering natural resources.
Who may I contact for recycling services?
• Contact local Waste Management at (559) 834-4070
Where do I find more information regarding AB 1826?
• Visit the Mandatory Commercial Organics Recycling webpage on the CalRecycle website here.
• Visit the Frequently Asked Questions webpage on the Cal Recycle website here.
• City of Fowler Commercial Organics Recycling Regulations - Read More